Birthday Cake Cupcakes
by Elisa Pecorari
Light, fluffy, and full of sweetness. Uncover our recipe for a good old-fashioned Birthday Cupcake.
(SERVINGS 8 servings PREP TIME 20 mins COOK TIME 20 mins TOTAL TIME 40 min)
- Baker’s Secret Reusable Piping Bag and Tips
- Mixing bowls
- 2-1 Scraper and Spatula 10”
- Muffin Pan
- 3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1 1/3 Cups Sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- ¼ Cup Rainbow Sprinkles + more for garnish
- 6 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Cups Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 4 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease a muffin pan. Line it with muffin liners and grease them as well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating on low for three minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs one by one. Add the vanilla extract. Continue beating until everything is incorporated and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk. Beat until the batter is smooth. Fold in the sprinkles.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until done. To check the doneness, insert a toothpick in the middle of the cupcake. If it comes out clean you can take them out. Let them cool off before adding the frosting.
- To make the frosting, prepare a standup mixer with the paddle attachment on.
- Add the butter and whip until smooth and fluffy. With the mixer on medium-low gradually add the powdered sugar and continue beating until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and the heavy whip cream one tablespoon at a time until you reach a creamy consistency.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag and swirl it on top of the cupcakes.
Make these Gluten-Free
Notes: For Gluten-Free cupcakes use the blend below instead of the all-purpose flour. Mix the ingredients before you add them to the mix.
- 1 ⅓ Cup Chickpea Flour
- ¾ Cup Almond Flour
- ¼ Cup Potato Starch
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Xanthan Gum