Coconut Original Cake
by Charlotte Jane Davis
A tropical take on the classic dessert. Rich and moist, this cake is perfect for celebrating with friends and family.It is loaded with the wonderful taste of coconut. The aroma in the kitchen while baking..mmm..what are you waiting for? You gotta try this recipe out!
For the cake:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup softened butter
2 cups sugar
4 whole eggs
2 tsp coconut extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
For the glazing:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 5 tsp heavy cream
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Apply some non-stick cooking spray on a 12-oz Fluted Cake pan
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt)
- In another mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and coconut extract. Beat until smooth.
- Add the milk, beat on low speed to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat just until combined. Stir in the coconut.
- Pour the batter into the Fluted Cake pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes. Use a toothpick to test the interior of the cake. It should come out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert the pan on the rack and let it cool completely before glazing.
- Mix the powdered sugar, heavy cream and coconut extract to make the glazing.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Sprinkle generously with the flaked coconut.