Reine de Saba aka Chocolate & Almond Cake
by Elisa Pecorari
Are you ready to indulge in a taste of royalty? Reine de Saba (or Queen of Sheba) is an incredibly delicious French chocolate cake that is sure to bring out your inner monarch. This sweet yet simple recipe takes just minutes to make, and the finished product will be a hit at any gathering.
To begin you will need these ingredients:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 4 ounces chopped chocolate
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped-up almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ounces of chocolate
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- sliced almonds or nuts (optional)
Instructions for making your Reine de Saba Cake:
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a round cake pan.
2) In a medium saucepan, melt 8 tablespoons of butter and the chopped chocolate together over low heat. Once it is melted, add 2 tablespoons of rum and stir. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 3 egg yolks, salt, chopped almonds, and almond extract until combined.
4) Add the melted chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
5) In a separate bowl, whisk the 3 egg whites until stiff peaks form.
6) Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until just combined.
7) Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8) Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
Instructions for making your Reine de Saba Frosting:
1) In a small saucepan, melt 2 ounces of chocolate and 2 tablespoons of rum together over low heat. Stir until combined and turn off the heat to let it cool slightly.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter and the melted chocolate mixture until fluffy.
3) Spread the frosting on top of the cooled cake and sprinkle with sliced almonds or nuts if desired.
And voila! You now have a delicious Reine de Saba to enjoy with friends and family.