Strawberry Cream Puffs
by Pecorari Elisa
From a simple afternoon snack to a fancy dessert for a dinner party, these delicate pastries are filled with whipped cream and fresh strawberries, offering a perfect balance of sweetness and tanginess that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. With their light and airy texture and beautiful presentation, strawberry cream puffs are sure to impress your guests and leave them wanting more. Plus, with our bakeware and tools, you can perfect your baking technique and create these delicious treats with ease. Whether you're an experienced baker or just starting out, making these strawberry cream puffs at home is a fun and rewarding experience that is sure to delight your senses and make your baking dreams come true.
6-7 Cream Puffs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 eggs or 145g Vegan Just egg
Crème Mousseline Filling:
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Egg Yolk or Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, soft
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 11/2 cup Pastry Cream
- 3-4 Strawberries, fresh and diced.
- 3 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3-4 tsp Milk, mixed with powdered sugar.
- 2 tsp Dehydrated Strawberry Powder or Pink Food Color, mixed with powdered sugar.
- For the choux pastry: Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper. In a Medium saucepan, combine water, milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Bring just to a boil over medium heat then remove from heat and s]r in flour all at once with a wooden spoon.
- One flour is incorporated, placed back over medium heat stirring constantly for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to release extra moisture, and partially cook the flour.
- Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl and beat using an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute to cool the mixture slightly. Add eggs, 1 at a time, allowing to fully incorporate between addons. Beat another minute until the l dough is smooth and forms a thick ribbon when pulled up.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag filled with 1/2" round tip. Pipe 6 – 7 puffs, each 2.5” diameter, and 1/2” tall rounds. Keep them 1" apart and avoid making peaks* but if you do get peaks, wet fingertips lightly with water and smooth them out.
- Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes in the center of the oven. Without opening the oven, reduce temp to 325˚F and bake 20-22 min longer or until golden brown on top. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare Crème mousseline filling: Pastry Cream: In a medium-sized pot combine milk and vanilla extract. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a medium heat-proof mixing bowl, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Whisk in egg yolks or heavy cream until the mixture is pale yellow, smooth, and fluffy, about 1 minute. While whisking continuously, slowly pour milk into egg yolk mixture in a thin stream, until all of it has been added. Return the mixture to the same saucier.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until pastry cream begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Once it thickens, continue to whisk, pausing every few seconds to check for bubbles, for about 1 minute. When it begins to bubble, set a timer, and continue whisking for 1 minute.
- Whisk in butter until melted and thoroughly combined. Strain pastry cream through a fine-mesh sieve set over a heatproof medium bowl. Immediately place plastic wrap or buttered parchment paper directly on the surface of the cream to prevent skin from forming then refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. When ready to use the pastry cream, whisk until smooth.
- Crème Mousseline: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat softened butter, and powdered sugar on medium speed until fluffy and light, about 5 minutes. With the mixer running at medium speed, add pastry cream, a few tablespoons at a time, pausing to scrape down the bowl and paddle as needed, until thoroughly incorporated, mix for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer crème mousseline to a pastry bag fitted with a 3/4-inch star tip.
- Assemble Cream Puffs: Transfer cooled choux pastry to a large cutting board. Holding a serrated knife parallel to the board, make a small cut from the outside and slide it all the way. Carefully lift off the top half and place it next to the bottom half.
- Pipe the crème mousseline in an even ½-inch-high layer onto the cut side of the bottom half of the choux pastry, making sure to apply steady pressure while piping. Carefully place 2 tsp of strawberry filling in the middle. Place the top half of the choux pastry over the piped filling, glaze the top evenly with strawberry glaze, and serve.
*Credits to Saloni for creating this beautiful Strawberry Cream Puffs Recipe using our Bakeware & Baking Tools