Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
by Elisa Pecorari
*Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Recipe and Photos by Sloane Papa
- 170g (3/4 cup; 12 tbsp) brown butter, melted & cooled (start with 204g or 14 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter)*
- 240g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 213g (1 cup) dark brown sugar
- 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 170g (1 cup) chocolate chips + more for topping*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8" cake pan with softened butter and use two long, thick strips of parchment paper to line the pan, leaving the ends sticking up for easy removal of the cake. For extra assurance, cut out a circle of parchment paper to line the entire bottom of the pan.
- Start by browning the butter. You'll need 170g of brown butter, so start with about 204g (as the butter melts, water evaporates).*
- To brown the butter, in a small saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat for several minutes, swirling to even out the color. The butter will be ready once the fat solids have separated and darkened, and the butter is an even medium amber color.
- Pour the brown butter into a glass measuring cup and place in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.*
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Weigh out the cooled melted brown butter into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the sugars until fully combined.
- Mix in the eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Add in the dry ingredients, and gently fold with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top, as desired.
- Bake the cookie cake for about 35 minutes until evenly golden on top and the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Lift the cookie cake from the pan using the parchment strips onto a serving plate or cake stand.
- Decorate as desired and enjoy!