Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
by Elisa Pecorari
*Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake Recipe and Photo by Erin Kyles
Caramel Apple Layer
- 70g unsalted butter (5 tbsp.)
- 100g light brown sugar (½ c.)
- 2 medium-sized apples, peeled & thinly sliced
- 190g all-purpose flour (1 ½ c.)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 125g unsalted butter (½ c. + 1 tbsp.), room temperature
- 170g granulated sugar (¾ c. + 2 tbsp.)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 150g buttermilk (⅔ c.), room temperature
Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C.
Caramel Apple Layer
- Wash, peel, and thinly slice the apples.
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar together, stirring constantly until the mixture is cohesive. Remove from the heat and pour into a 9” cake pan.
- Arrange the sliced apples on top of the caramel.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer, in a large bowl) beat together the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in both eggs and vanilla. Beat until well combined (~1 min.)
- Add half of the flour mixture, and mix by hand just until the flour is incorporated. Add in all of the buttermilk and mix until combined. Add in the rest of the flour, and lightly fold the mixture together just until all of the flour is incorporated.
- Gently pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, smoothing out the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake, comes out clean or with only a few moist crumbs.
- Let the cake sit in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert it onto a serving platter. Wait for the cake to cool completely before slicing.
- (If desired) Make another batch of the caramel to drizzle on top before serving. Slice, serve, and enjoy!